+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gathering--post the scoop

Default Re: Gathering--post the scoop

I had a great time at the Gathering. The Bruce Baker classes on booth design and selling tips were well worth the money.
    I bought some small dichro squares from Bullseye in patterns which were new to me. Also, I ordered their new book on fusing and slumping. I also bought some small silver dangles from Nikki Passenier, some frit from Hot Glass, some glass beads from Theodora's and some amber leaf beads from another vendor,sorry I don't remember who.
    At the Bazaar, I bought a Raku pendant and chain from Margaret Zinser whose table was next to mine.
    The food in Louisville was excellent and a good price value. The highlight of the trip for me was dinner at the Mayan Gypsy (I had shrimp with a creamy lime sauce, a chile rilleno, and corncake). And, the dessert - fried bananas, coffee sauce and vanilla ice cream. I almost never have dessert, but I couldn't resist this one! The best part of that was our arrival and departure in a horse drawn carriage! The horse, named Jesse, was wonderful, very friendly, loved being petted.
    Patti

I am so sorry about your mother, Lenda. It makes me doubly glad I invited my mom to come down to Louisville for the bead bazaar and banquet. I think she had a good time, and I know she left with a lot of beads. ;-)

It was my first time attending, and I thought I was prepared, but it really was overwhelming. But so fun to meet people I’ve seen post on various forums for years.

Bergina was a super roommate and I got to sample Susan Heine’s wonderful coffee her husband sells. Best coffee I’ve ever had, and Susan gave some ground coffee to both me and my mom. Thank you, Susan!

The Bazaar was bead heaven! I only bought two beads (darn that $$ car repair this month), but I got to look at everything.

I think it’s funny that people are remembering my peeps. I made them to relax after making many “serious” beads for the Southern Flames table and to trade. I took apart the peep bracelet after the silly bead contest, and gave peeps to a few beadmakers who said they liked them. I didn’t intend to trade, but they were all generous enough to offer beads in exchange. I just wanted to gift the silly things out. So a big thank you to Brad, Sharon, and Janice for your beads.

It was fun to finally see “The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking” in print, and to see my beads pictures along side famous beadmaker's work. I almost feel like a grown up beadmaker now.

Next year I will pack less and bring more beads. And remember to take a sweater…parts of the hotel were *cold*. I should probably start saving beads for the Gathering now.

While everyone is saying how great the Gathering was, don't forget the unsung heros, as far as I am concerned, the duo of Lisa St. Martin and Larry Brickman. They had to go in and retrofit 40 torches with B-fittings and that was a BIG job. Then they set up for classes, tear down the classes, set up for flame-off, tear down flame-off, set up open torch, tear down open torch and start over on classes Sunday night. They did a super job!
    Pam

What's the name of their new book? I am looking for a really good 'how to' book on fusing. Would you recommend this one or another one? I want it mainly for jewelry, not larger things.

Thanks
    Deb

While I agree with everyone that the Gathering was great, I feel obliged to say that for me the food was the worst I've ever eaten in the US... especially the banquet. Put that down to my French weirdness... the good part is that I have most about 5 pounds during that week
    But apart from that the organization was great and the volunteers and committees did a great job. And I want to thank the AV team too, they did an excellent job and were really nice and helpful. I really enjoyed the flame off too. No pics to show though, sorry, I once again forgot my camera.

Hi Anne,
    Sorry about your food experience. I bet New Orleans won' t let you down. They're known for having great restaurants!

Marcy

Ha! She'll gain 20 in NO! That place is deadly if you are trying to not gain weight. I LOVE it there!!!

Mmmm... beignets...

Courtney

Beignets morning, noon and midnight!! Plus bread pudding, especially the double chocolate from the Red Fish Grill. Okay, I'm ready to leave for NO.
    Pam

RED FISH GRILL , Mmmmmmmm !!!! It's my favorite restaurant, Pam, and so conveniently located right on Bourbon St. in the Quarter !

Ofilia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information