+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a kiln also

Default I\'m looking for a kiln also

I am looking for a used kiln or a reasonable priced one. If I don't get one soon I am going to have to stop lampworking. You see I need more glass and I cann't sell anything till I get a kiln.

PLEASE HELP
    Laura

Default Re: I\'m looking for a kiln also

There are occasionally, but rarely, used kilns available. Have you considered that a good basic bead annealing kiln can be had new for less than $300? The only reason I mention it is because used kilns are frequently more expensive than that.

Vince

as much as I hate to say it, it sounds like it's time to whip out the credit card and buy a kiln. just like any hobby or business, you have to shell out to begin with. i've had to put torches, glass and a kiln on my CC but i've been able to sell beads to pay off the purchases.

that said, maybe someone will have a good used kiln here for sale...ya never know...

good luck
    donner
    blackberrybeads.com

The only ones that I have found have a price rangeof about $750.
    I think I am looking in the wrong place.

Where can you get one for $300

Hi Donner

CC got us into truble a few years ago and I have never used them since.

LauraAlice

check out this link. Basic small kiln starts at $290. Mind you, it IS basic, but it will anneal a lot of beads. You can add a digital controller to it later when you are more affluent.

You will need to add an inexpensive pyrometer to it to monitor the temperature, and I think that's about $70. There may be less expensive ones around.

Vince

Sundance Kilns

Arrow Springs has pyro for $50. I recently purchased one from them.

So they do. However it is the small dial one. For $19 more I'd prefer the larger one from Sundance. Still, if one is on a budget, $19, is $19. Could help with kiln shipping costs.

Vince

Bishop, California for now ... and soon to be Patagonia, Arizona in 2006

DON'T STOP LAMPWORKING!! Beg, borrow, or steal the money to buy a kiln, new or used! I don't even want to think about what I put on credit cards to get this business (sort of) up and rolling, but, while I haven't paid it all back yet, I have reached the level now where I buy glass on my debit rather than my credit cards. I've lived without a heat controller for more than two years now, and while I'm not the happiest beadmaker in the world without one, I manage to get my beads well-annealed (but I don't sleep much, since I work late into the night anyway, and then I have to babysit the kiln as I ramp down until my surrogate babysitter (the appliance timer) takes over to shut it off...

Your minimum needs--kiln, infinite heat control switch, pyrometer. All that cost me around, er, $500 I think, from Sundance? (I forget exactly--correct me Vince, if I'm wrong. I think the kiln itself was about $400 with infinite heat switch?) But I sprung for the $80 pyrometer and some accessories you could live without.

Borrow money from your friends if you need to. Steal an idea I used two years ago, when I was so broke I couldn't get my car fixed. Write to 20 friends and ask them each for a $10 gift or loan. Worked a charm for me! I sent most of them beads in return, and everyone was happy...

Margi

Several retailers (jewelry supply) sell kilns suitable to annealing on e-bay.com...

Search 'kiln' or 'burn out oven'...

I got one with infinite controller for $320 brand new.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information