+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Oxygen by Cylinder Versus Concentrator

Hybrid View

Default Using Oxygen by Cylinder Versus Concentrator

I currently use an Extreme Oxygen 15 concentrator and propane for my Nortel minor burner. It works very well but I am limited in what I can do with Boro. I am looking to upgrade to a Nortel major/minor burner to advance my beading and work with Boro and am considering using oxygen cylinders rather than piggy back oxygen concentrators.
    I am trying to find out what size oxygen cylinders most of you use and approximately how many hours of beading you all (I live in Tennessee) are able to get out of them? Or any other opinions about cylinders versus concentrators.

I like bottled oxygen over a concentrator for a lot of reasons. But my studio is in the basement so I use a concentrator after 10+ years on the bottle - hubby's back the main reason. It is also cheaper in the long run for me.

The biggest advantage of the concentrator for me is that I never run out.....so if you do switch to a bottle keep that concentrator for back up!

Yes, you get bigger, hotter flames, great for boro. It is hard to tell how fast you will go through a bottle because that all depends on your project. If you are just starting and starting small, you might want to try piggy backing concentrators. If you are really jumping in with both feet, I would suggest getting the biggest bottle you can handle and try to keep a "use" log.

I understand why you are asking, but the variables are so great, it is a hard one to answer.
    Good luck,
    Debby

I suggest to use both (concentrator and bottle) with an option to swich from Concentrator to bottle as you need more boooom. The concentrator gives enough for the smaller projects on the Minour Burner and saves livetime of the bottle. There should be valves on the market like T-connectors with a 90° path inside the stopcock. The only thing you have to figure out is how to prevent the concentrator working against a closed valve (extra valve to give it a bypass to atmosphere).

I figured out that two 5L-concentrators on a Minour are as good as bottled oxy. In a class with John Olson (inside-out-beads) I worked on a single concentrator for most of the time and jumped over to a torch with bottled oxy when I needed more fire. On that torch I could turn oxy-more-on when I needed more heat ;-).

It's difficult to say "one cylinder of this size lasts so(oo) long with that torch", because the temprament of every beadmaker is different. But you can estimate about 3/4 of the consumption the manufacturer sayes. You will have to behave yourself, because it's very easy to turn the flame bigger than needed for the actual work and forget to decrease it's size early enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information