+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching advice needed.

Default Teaching advice needed.

I signed up for the classes at the gathering on teaching beadmaking, but I have a new beadmaker who wants lessons now. We've agreed on a price per hour and I downloaded a release of liability form, but feel I'm missing something. I've taken some great classes and am confident I can demo basic shapes, good technique and different methods on making stringers, but am worried about just diving in.
    Any advice?

Kelley
    Have a good plan of what you are going to cover. Decided which shapes you are the best at and teach those. Basic shapes like the donut and cylinder are good to start with. Take it slow don't try to cram everything into one lesson and be sure to cover safety! Let your student practice the more beads they make the better they get and they really enjoy taking those treasures home.
    I like to write out what I plan to teach - I break it down and make an out-line to follow for each class.
    Good luck and enjoy teaching
    Oh and safety safety safety! Ventilation ventilation too.
    Sam

Hi, Kelley,
    Sam's got the right idea! Work on the basics with your student so he/she will be able to move on to more advanced techniques later. Cover safety, set up, annealing, some resources for materials.
    Have fun!
    Margie

Thank you! I'll keep it simple, talk safety and let her practice. Showing her how to make cylinder beads is a great idea--I use that as a basis for many beads. And I can provide a list of internet resources for her too.

Thank you so much!
    Kelley

Hi, Kelley,
    My 2 °° (spacers) are...
    After the initial safety lecture (cold) let the student get a feeling for the hot glass by making stringers. Black (shows the temperature well) and white (quite different in behaviour) are good for beginners. Now it's time to make the first bead and keep the focus on a good dimple at the holes. Here is preventing bad habits more important than speed or bead-count. Decorate with dots, squiggle-lines or what the stringer can do. Once the first beads are done do an excurs to reduction and burning away unwanted reduction on opaque turquoise (for Hot-Head torchers a MUST teach). This prevents most disappointing results with "bad muddy colors". Now is the time to introduce other shapes than the donut and marvering. Depending on the skills and success of your student add more elements and/or reinforce the basics. Let the student choose few contrasting colors because we are working more with the technique rather than with lots of variety.

Dietmar

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information