+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bravo vs Hellcat

Default Bravo vs Hellcat

I need to buy a new torch that will enable me to make larger pieces such as 12-15 m lentils. I work exclusively soft glass and I like soft flames.

I've been researching a lot and I think I am now almost decided on a Bravo or a Hellcat but I've never seen either in real life and I'd be grateful if someone could compare them based on personal experience.

Thanks !
    Anne Londez
    Flameworker

www.annedesigns.netfirms.com

I have never used either one so am no help what so ever.

I use a Nortel mid-range with a top mounted minor (have had it for years). I can get a full, fluffy flame from the mid-range and easily move back and forth between the minor and mid-range while working on the same piece. I got this one after watching Larry Scott use one in a class I took from him. Love it. Don't know if you found this model or have had a chance to check it out but thought I'd add my two cents.

Good luck,
    Debby

I would suggest a GTT Phantom. It has a lynx in the middle then on outer ring of flame as well. It can be operated via a foot pedal as needed for extra heat. I almost all of my beads on the Lynx portion and use the phantom for extra heat as needed. Some of My beads get close to 1 1/2 inch round... I like the fact that the torch body stays cool allowing me to get in close to the bead for detail work...
    Kris Schaible
    Vice President
    International Society of Glass Beadmakers

Debby, I also have a Mid-Range, which I have modified to replace the Minor by my Mini-CC. I need a serious upgrade for what I want to do. I need a bigger torch that will enable me to make 3-4" soft glass gathers in a reasonable time.

Kris, I used to have a Phantom years ago and I sold it because I didn't like it. The GTT torches have flames that are too aggressive for my taste. That's why I've selected the Bravo and Hellcat. Ideally I'd love a Carlisle Black Widow but that's only feasible if you have free oxy... it guzzles 212 lpm !
    Anne Londez
    Flameworker

www.annedesigns.netfirms.com

Anne, I agree with you that the GTT torches having flame that's too aggressive. I prefer torches with less thrusting flames myself. I have a Barracuda so I'd recommend its replacement, the Bravo which is even more oxy efficient. Just make sure that the Alpha center fire doesn't have a slight reducing issue even in neutral flame. That seems to be a problem on the some of the earlier Alpha/Bravo torches according to Bethlehem...not sure if that's been fixed for good.

Having said that, I believe Cynthia Tilker loves her Hellcat. Its fluffier flame really helps with her sculptural work.
    Hayley

Hayley Tsang Sather | envisionsf.com

Hummmmmm - this is interesting. But the most interesting thing is trying to guess where Anne is going that she is making such a big gather. Will be looking forward to seeing what is on your mind.

Debby

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information