+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you inform the un informed

Default Do you inform the un informed

A seller is selling beads as annealed. They clearly do not anneal properly, they show pictures of the rod warmer as their "kiln" and state the batch anneal beads when confronted after already stating they "anneal" in the rod warmer. Large beads made with murrini and encased, batch annealed?? Do you bother trying to inform they as they claim they are newbies and don't know and cannot afford a kiln or do you just walk away? Keep in mind they are selling these beads on etsy.
    Nicole Valentine - Rimmer
    www.NValentineStudio.etsy.com

Hi Nicole,

I saw a thread on Facebook yesterday about this situation. Face to face, I would probably try to dialogue with someone (gingerly and respectfully) if I met them in person and felt they were misinformed about something as important as annealing. However, online is another matter entirely.

There are too many factors involved when you're dealing with someone you don't know, can't see, and have to make guesses or assumptions about things such as their prior knowledge, motives and honesty. Even "private" conversations can get pretty public when one person decides to open the conversation to others - for input or back-up. We've all seen where THAT can go... and it almost always ends badly.

The fact is, there is PLENTY of good information on the internet about bead making, as well as lots of excellent books, DVD's, and other sources of info, IF someone really wants to educate themselves. Anyone who has been making beads long enough to be selling them on etsy has probably run across information about annealing, and for whatever reason (probably convenience) chooses to simply carry on because it's just easier and cheaper than buying a kiln, or learning what annealing is all about.

I've heard the argument that as soon as a customer buys an unannealed bead from an individual seller and it breaks, the assumption is that all handmade lampwork is poorly made, fragile and not to be trusted. I don't think that's usually going to be the case. Most people are smarter than that, and will simply avoid that particular seller in the future, not stop buying lampwork all together.

So, in my opinion, it's best to just shake your head and walk away. I feel your frustration, but I think that approaching someone you don't know to tell them they're doing it wrong will more than likely be met with defensiveness. Unfortunately, I think the chances are that a poor outcome is far more likely than a positive one, in this case.

Schermo

I think Shermo has it right - unfortunately.

The only thing I would suggest is taking your business card and writing down some websites. You might say something about it being wonderful that she is so excited about making beads and here are some websites she might want to check out. Then maybe she can get the message through them. I also try to link up newbies with groups (like one of our chapters) and suggest there is lots of information to get that way. Just a thought.

Debby

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information