Just to be sure...How To Hook Up A Minor...
Beth Boal <tkec@tkec.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 11:11 a.m.

Here is how I am setting up my minor - (sort of a shin bone connected to the ankle bone type summary):

1) Torch is connected to two hoses - green to silver (oxy), red to red (fuel). This may sound obvious, but this step stumped me last night for longer than I care to admit - my hose came with brass fittings on both ends, and, for the life of me, I could not figure how to connect the brass fittings to the barbs... IF YOUR HOSE COMES WITH FITTINGS ON BOTH ENDS, cut off one set of fittings. Slide hose itself onto the "barbed" ends of the Nortel torch. Secure with small hose clamps.

1a) One more possibly obvious thing here. My hose also came with the red and green hoses "stuck" together all the way down the 12 ft. hose. I had to pull them apart to separate so that I could link one to the oxy, and one to the fuel. I am HOPING that is OK (couldn't see any other alternative - one note, however, you don't need to separate the whole thing, just far enough so you can reach the tanks. Leaving them "together" for part of the hose is easier to keep hoses "neat".)

2. Hoses will connect to appropriate quick connect (purchased from Franz) that is also a flashback arrestor. Again, green to green, red to red.

3. Quick connect/flashback arrestor connects to regulators. Red to red (for my regulator, this one only has one "dial/display" and indicates on the fittings that it is for fuel) & green to green (again, mine indicates oxy on the fittings, but this one has TWO dials/displays).

NOTE: I am not planning on using Teflon tape on any of the connections mentioned so far. I AM planning on using it on the next step.

4. Connect regulator to appropriate tank. Oxy (green) to green oxy tank (or other oxy source), red/fuel to fuel source. Wrap threads with teflon tape to ensure secure, non-leaking connection.

5. Before turning ANYTHING on, make sure:
a) Torch values are fully closed, &
b) Regulator values are open so that there is no pressure on them and they turn freely.

6. Pray

7. Slowly, with your body on the pressure release side of the tank if possible, turn on each tank. Here is where info varies. Both oxy and fuel fully turned on. (I have read that you only turn fuel on one turn to one and a half turns - said that was so it could be turned off more quickly in an emergency, but I've also heard that they should both be fully on...?)

8. Check for leaks at all connections. Many say to spray soapy water around connections, but I am going to run out in the snow and buy the leak checking fluid that does not contain any oil. From what I've read this is important when checking the OXY connections.

9. Assuming everything checked out OK, you're ready to go to torch and 9. ....turn on the propane (or other fuel source) a CRACK and light it... on using POOP. (For those of you with cat boxes nearby, please ready further before trying anything here...) Light it. Then slowly add Oxy.

How'd I do? Note - if I have anything grossely in error, I am still here to write about it because I actually have not done anything past Step 3 yet...

Feedback obviously desired as soon as possible... Thanks, all.
Also, if there is a source that has this level of newbie detail all together (like "don't remove white film from base of torch" or "do remove white film...", feel free to point me to it. I did check Arrow Springs Tips & Techniques, the Kervin book, the Jenkins book, the ISGB archives, and a few other misc. websites.

B2

Ann Scherm Baldwin <schermo@aol.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 2:02 p.m.

Beth,

This sounds fine to me, and like you have done a thorough examination of all your equipment, done your reading, and (will) have it all set up to go safely.

As for the issue of how far to open the valves on the tanks: The oxygen has to be open as far as it will go, to "seat" the valve properly on the oxygen tank. (I like to work seated also, so this makes sense to me!) On the propane tank, one school of thought is that if you only open the propane valve a little bit, it will be easier/quicker to shut it off if there is a leak. The other school of thought is that it doesn't really matter - if there is a major leak you will know it (smell it) right away, and turning the tank off is quick because you're right there anyhow. Otherwise, it won't matter if the valve is open a quarter turn or all the way, because it's not really going to save you much time, since you will probably have to travel over to the tank (which is hopefully outside at the time) to turn it off anyhow. My two cents worth (from experience) is that if it is open all the way, and you need to close it in a hurry, it is far easier in panic mode to know which is the right way to CLOSE it rather than opening it all the way up, if there is only one direction to turn.

Good luck, and happy torching !

- Ann

http://www.schermobeads.com

michey <michey@gulftel.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 2:52 p.m.

Beth I just skimmed as I am not really alert today yet but I don't think you should use the telfon tape on the oxygen?????? Now I've used an oxy. concentrator for so long now I am not positive but I seem to remember when I was buying it a million years ago that the guy kept repeating.....don't use on the oxygen connection. Basically what I am saying double check that part.

michey

Pam Jacobs <pjacobs@cox.rr.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 5:11 p.m.

Do not use Teflon on the O2 tank. Make sure all threads are very clean and particularly that there is no grease. Actually I don't use the tape on any brass connections and have never had a leak. I find that Teflon is fine for joints that will rarely if ever be redone, but shreads easily in screwing and unscrewing. Also, I don't want to take the chance of getting pieces in my regulators. I have gotten O2 tanks with the remains of Teflon Tape and it took me forever to clean off the shreaded bits.

Pam

Pam Jacobs <pjacobs@cox.rr.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 5:28 p.m.

You forgot one thing, after the tanks are open you have to open the regulator valves to the "correct" pressure. I use a Minor and for soft glass I set mine to 10psi for the O2 and 5psi for the Propane. Some people use other pressures, but generally the O2 pressure is twice the fuel pressure. After you get the torch lit with both gases, check and see if the pressures are still at what you want, after that use the knobs on the torch to adjust for a neutral flame, at least to start. You have probably read that some glasses need more O2 and I use a lot of reduction frits--the adjustments in flame chemistry to accommodate these variations are generally done with the torch knobs.

Pam

louise <louise@nospameglassplace.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 9:09 p.m.

A handy hint- when you open the o2 tank valve the whole way, back it off just a little. It can "freeze" if it is cranked all the way and you will have heck of a time closing it. As for teflon tape on o2 connections, I haven`t read or heard anything about not using there, so would be interested in any other comments about this.

Mike Frantz <supplies@frantzartglass.com> -- Saturday, 9 March 2002, at 10:04 p.m.

I think what you are doing, then modified by other posts is correct. Forget spending money on some leak detecting fluid, either use your nose and ears (nose for propane) and (ears for air) or just a little soap and water, if there be a leak, you will be blowing bubbles and not blowing up.

Mike Frantz

http://frantzartglass.com

Re: Just to be sure...How To Hook Up A Minor...
Ann Scherm Baldwin <schermo@aol.com> -- Sunday, 10 March 2002, at 1:04 a.m.

I've been using teflon tape on the threads of my oxy tanks ever since I started lampworking (as per the instructions of my teacher) to get a good seal..... I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it ? Can those of you who caution against using teflon tape on an oxygen tank please tell us why ? Thanks....

- Ann

Re: Just to be sure...How To Hook Up A Minor...
Vince Henley <vincehenley@earthlink.net> -- Monday, 11 March 2002, at 3:18 a.m.

There is no reason not to use teflon tape on your oxygen tank. However, there is also no critical reason to do so. The seal between the regulator and the oxygen tank port is a metal to metal seal where the threads merely apply pressure. The threads do not play a significant role in sealing the flow of gas, so sealing them with teflon tape will not have much of an effect. The sole effect it will likely have is to lubricate the threads making them easier to turn and thus making it easier for you to apply the correct pressure on the metal to metal seal. If that helps you achieve the correct sealing pressure, then use it by all means, but it is acting as a lubricant, not a sealant.

The down side is that teflon tape debris might clog the inlet filter to your regulator if you are careless in removing the residue from the threads on your regulator connection.

Vince

Maureen Kennedy <MIrish2u@aol.com> -- Tuesday, 12 March 2002, at 1:19 a.m.

I am (was) like Beth, afraid to set up my minor. (which I have had for well over a year!). Anyhow, to go on with this thread, the next point I am concerned about is the "blowing of the diaphram(sp))? When I turn off the oxy and the propane at the tank, I then release the Tbar on the regulators by unscrewing it til it almost falls out and then 1/2 screw tight? So that way when I start using the set up again, I would re-screw the Tbar to set the right pressure? Is this right - I don't want to screw up $120 worth of regulators.

Sam Boot <sboot@gostanford.com> -- Tuesday, 12 March 2002, at 12:39 p.m.

You don't have to unscrew the t-bars until they fall out. Just unscrew 3 or 4 turns until they are loose.If the t-bar handles are loose then you are not putting any pressure on the regulator diaphrams. After you turn off the main valves at the tanks make sure you bleed your lines by turning the valves at the torch. Burn off most of the propane then shut the torch valve and turn it on again to bleed out what little propane is left in the line.Then loosen the t-bar handles at the regulators. That small amount of unburned propane will not hurt anything.