+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bethlehem Bravo help

Hybrid View

Default Bethlehem Bravo help

Hi everyone,
    I just went from a minor burner to the new Bravo torch. I'm going to love this torch once I get it figured out but I'm finding there is not a lot of information on the proper flame settings. I have found a video on Bethlehem's site about the flame settings for the Barracuda but nothing yet on the Bravo. I have watched firelady's video on youtube as well. I went through almost a half a tank of oxy just playing with it for a couple of hours. Also I noticed my oxy regulator got a lot of very cold condensation on it. Is that normal?
    Any tips on this torch would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, I'll be using it for small boro sculpture, marbles and soft glass beads.
    Thanks,

Kelly

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your questions. I don't work on a Bravo, but I've emailed a few of our applicable members to see what I can find out. I'll post some thoughts for you here as quickly as I can.

Best,
    Kendra

Thanks so much Kendra.
    Kelly
    Upper Road Designs

Hi Kelly,

I've received a couple of responses from some people and I still have a few more that I've sent inquiries to. Here are the comments I received:

"The frost on the tanks likely indicates heavy use. It is OK."

"The 1/2 tank is possible. My torch can finish with a tank in a day as well as a 1/2 day."

"I suggest a leak test on the oxygen lines. My guess is that there is a leak. Unless she was full blast, the fuel consumption should not be that high. I used to get an average of 35-40 hours per tank on my Carlisle CC."

I hope the above helps and I will come back here with additional information as I receive it.

-Kendra

Kelly, here are a few more thoughts that came in:

"I've barely used the Bravo, but I don't think it functions too differently than the Barracuda. I feel like the info she has for the Barracuda should be mostly appropriate."

"I don't remember condensation on the regulator being normal and that should be checked. I wonder what her pressure is set at? Might be one of the first things I would check - it might be too high since high pressure release causes cold (such as on a dewar), plus that would tell us why she's going through so much oxy and it would make the flame pretty hard to deal with."

"I think a call to Bethlehem is the smartest thing she could do. Seems they would offer the very best advice and experience for their own torch."

-Kendra

It sounds to me like you've used up a lot of gas for the time. I have a couple of questions for you and maybe we can sort this out. What are the pressure settings on your oxygen and propane - assuming that you are using propane and not NG? Does your flame make a loud hissing sound? How big is your O2 tank?

Robert
    Robert Simmons
    Director for Bead Donations
    Beads of Courage, Inc.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry for not responding quickly, I have been taking care of my father who has just started dialysis for the last two weeks.
    To answer the questions. I am using 2 propane and 8 oxy on my regulators. But I did notice that the oxygen pressure tends to creep up depending on if I'm using the outer fire or inner fire. The torch is not making a big hissing sound. The literature that came with the torch did say to keep a nice blue flame without yellow candles. I am using a 90 lb oxygen tank. When I am just using the inner fire the oxy consumption is not that bad.
    It sounds like from the comments that I just need to hurry up and get my second concentrator rebuilt so I can switch to that system.

Thanks,
    Kelly
    Upper Road Designs

If you take your candles to a faint white tip you should still be in a neutral condition and it will help you control your oxygen consumption. The lack of loud hissing indicates that your pressures aren't too high. I suspect that you are just running a bit more O2 than is really necessary. The outer flame on any of these multi-stage torches is going to be an oxygen hog. I went to K tanks (300 cf) when I bought my Phantom.The concentrator will run the inner fire OK, you'll likely run short trying to run bot inner and outer fires at their peak performance. Most people that I know who run two stage torches use tanks for the outer fire and will run a concentrator for the inner if the torch will handle it.

Hope you dad is doing OK.

Robert
    Robert Simmons
    Beads of Courage, Inc.

Thanks Robert for the info. The more I play around with it the more I am getting the hang of it. I tell you, it melts glass like it's butter!
    I do think I need to get a holding tank setup with my two concentrators. To run the outer fire on tanked oxy I'm assuming I just need a y connector for the oxy line between the tank and concentrator? (Sounds like a task for hubby)
    Thanks for asking about my dad. He's adjusting well.
    Kelly
    Upper Road Designs

You'll need a tank,oxygen regular and green oxygen hose between your tank and the input on the torch for the outer fire. You can get the regulator at just about any welding supply shop. You only need a Y connector if you are running both the inner and outer fires from the tank.If you run the inner fire from your concentrator then the line from it will go to the inner fire input. I don't believe that a holding tank will be necessary but it might even out your oxygen flow from the concentrators if you have the space and $$ to plumb in onto your system. You'll probably want to to a bigger tank, though, as the one you have doesn't have the capacity to run the outer fire on your torch for very long. I use 300cf 'K' tanks for my Phantom and Mirage. Disclaimer: I haven't operated the Bravo yet myself and am basing my advice on my experience with other multi-stage torches.

Robert
    Robert Simmons
    Beads of Courage, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information