+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Up for the ISGB

Default Step Up for the ISGB

Friends - we are all in tough economic times, and some might say that our organization is also struggling. My wife Jeri and I have shared a membership in the ISGB for about 15 years, and it has most recently been at the Professional Level. This year, in a show of support for the ISGB, a group that I have come to love and appreciate, Jeri and I are EACH joining as professional members so that we can pay a larger amount of dues than in the past.
    This isn't an easy decision. Money is just as tight in NJ as around the world, and frankly, we don't really earn a living as beadmakers, but we make a large part of our living from teaching bead classes, and selling bead books and tools. This is our way of stepping up and putting our money where our mouth is!
    Please post in this thread if you will join us. Are you a student or a single member? IF you can, try to stretch up one membership level. We all give what we can, it isn't always in dollars, but the reality is our organization needs us. Can you join us in this grassroots effort?
    Respectfully, Neil Fabricant (DrFab)

Neil - what a great way to support the ISGB! We have done that as well - instead of a family membership for my sister and myself (same last name and technically the same address for we live in a two-unit single family home in SF), we have elected to have two separate memberships. Mine is at the Professional Level for I teach and hers is at the Individual Level. We will have to see if we can up hers to the Professional Level for 2012. . . perhaps if we have a good show at BABE next month!

You and Jeri are the best, btw!
    Hayley

Hayley Tsang Sather | envisionsf.com

Thanks for your enthusiasm Hayley. I hope you have a fabulous BABE! If everybody gives a little, we can make a tremendous difference.
    Neil

That is a terrific idea! I only have an individual membership right now and already renewed my membership. I will have to contact Sarah or Kendra to find out how to up it!

Debby

I love this idea, but am trying to figure out the best way to "Step Up"! I have always joined at the professional level since I both sell at shows and am an instructor. It doesn't make any sense for me to join as a corporate sponsor. So, I'm trying to think of creative ways to show my support.

I thought about gifting my husband with a membership, but honestly - he knows how much I care about the ISGB and supports me in that, but his connection to beadmaking is through me, and this seems like a bit of a waste of a perfectly good membership! (He'd rather be geo-caching....) So, my next thought is: what about gifting others who are unable to join right now with a membership? Do you think that would make sense / be a good idea? I've had a good teaching month, and I could afford to do this.... (I can cut back on the impulsive glass & tool purchases for a month, right?) but how best to carry it out?

Would it be bizarre to start a thread here and / or on another beadmaking site (like LE) and ask for those who are not members, and would like to be members, but can't afford to join right now? I'm sure there are members who are aware of beadmakers who would really like to join the ISGB, but just don't have the wherewithal to do it.

Please, tell me what you think of this idea? Of course, I could just make a donation to the ISGB, but I think this way it benefits both the organization (in several ways, both financially as well as by bringing in more members who will bring their talents and skills to the group) as well as helping out a fellow beadmaker or two. Any thoughts?

Schermo

Neil, great minds really do think alike! My mom and I have shared a professional membership for our studio partnership for the last six years, but we both got individual professional level memberships this year for exactly the same reason. Well that and the fact that she was getting a little tired of me getting to read the Glass Bead first every quarter because its delivered to my house. LOL!
    Angie Ramey
    President
    International Society of Glass Beadmakers

Angie, it's great to hear about people "stepping up". Maybe it could go viral!!!!
    Neil

Shirmo, I think you are onto something! I think it would be an excellent idea to have a membership scholarship program, similar to the Gathering scholarship. I certainly would be willing to donate.

Another thing to consider, as a non-profit, ISGB donations are tax deductible not only for you but might also qualify for employers corporate matching programs.

Thanks for starting this thread Neil! Great idea.

Terri

Schermo, that's a great idea! I'd be up for "sponsoring" a gift membership for someone new to the ISGB! Perhaps we can brainstorm on how to best do this? Starting a thread and asking people who are interested in write something about themselves - how they got interested in beadmaking, what inspire them, etc. etc.?
    Hayley

Hayley Tsang Sather | envisionsf.com

Schermo - what a great idea! I'm in the same boat - I don't need a Corporate Membership so I can't upgrade, but I'd be more than happy to sponsor a membership for someone who is unable to afford one. I'd love to hear some more discussions about how to best make that happen - perhaps some combination of what Hayley is suggesting along with a review of what they write by a group of folks charged with the task of making decisions about who is awarded those "scholarships" - maybe a small group of RDs??????????

Marjorie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information