+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soft Glass Invitational

We got the posters today. Only one hundred and fifty of them. They are on 100 pound gloss paper. 17 by 11 inches. There will be one hundred used to give to attendees , demonstrators , and staff. We have 30-40 spots picked out to use the posters as posters. In Butler county and also Pittsburg. That leaves 10-20 we will hold on to . Not really to be sold, but maybe for raffle or fundraiser. The poster looks really great. Next week we will be getting the post cards. I have something planned . Will say when we get the post cards.

. Here are some reasons why people want to attend.....

Susan---I really enjoy getting together with other glass people(they are the best). Coming to the glass retreat would be a real treat eince I have always been working and not been able to enjoy this type of thing.

Linda---I gain so much inspiration from being around othet glass artists. I plan to start making beads full time after the first of the year and I happen to be traveling through Pa at just this time next year.

Holly---I have always wanted to come to this but was too afraid because I am so shy(yeah right) actually, I just could never find the vacation time.Plus something put together by such great folks as clean Barb and Dirty Looie has to be a blast in glass.

Chuck---I am looking forward to seeing other people work and also showing them how I work. Also the possability of collaborating on a project is of great interest to me.

Deborah---Would like to explore soft glass sculptures and need the time and support to learn how to troubleshoot possible problems.Love the AGI community, but this would be a different type of "camper".

Cleo--- There is nothing like the education and inspiration that comes from sharing with others artists. Unlike classes, you have no idea where this learning expierience is aimed.

Karen---I want to see demos by all the teachers that are listed. I would like to meet some of my lampworking heros.

Kris---I want to spend time with friends...learn more about others work and gather information about how others teach in hope of teaching myself some day, I would love to have a torch statiopn near my friens, Trey.

Melissa---Glass has facinated me since childhood. I collected glass figurines frok every place that we went and cried when mom and dad made me leave the glass booth at the amusement park.

Maxine---I would like to learn more and be inspired

marcia---I need to hang with some glass buddies in an open sharing emnvirenment.

Shirley---This sounds like a great opportunity to share and learn with like minded people.

Marcy---I'd like to come because i know it will be awesome torching side by side with fellow people who love glass too--all in one spot. And your demo line up has some of my faves!

Patricia---This sounds like a womderful opportunity to meet other "torchers".It is not far from me and the cost is just right!!

Diane-why not?

Cynthia---First because Louie is involved! That and this sounds like a great excuse to work at the torch I cannot keep my eyes open anymore. Oh, and being able to watch over people work and learn!! It's about learning...

Mary ---I attended the Bead Invitational at the Glass Blowing Center back in '05 and it was great to hang out with other glass lovers in a friendly, sharing atmosphere. There were people there more advanced than myself and I absorbed as much as I could from them, like a sponge. There were people there who could learn from me too and it felt good to be able to give something back. I love the whole philosophy of the SGI event and simply cannot wait to get back to Hilliards.

Barb and I are pleased to announce that both Wale Apparatus and Soft Flex Wire Co will be tech vendors at this event.
    Lewis

Today we hit the half way point with torch stations. We have 40 torch stations available for SGI. We have applications from 29 people . Paid deposits from 14. There are six teachers. So we now have 20 more torch stations open. We also have three wanting a "B" ticket so they can share with someone at a torch station. A dozen are planning to camp out . Others will be at the motel as a group.

Update Jan 27---Barb and I want to let people know that we still have 15 "A" tickets with torch stations . We also have room for 16 "B" tickets for those wanting to share. We head out to Tucson next week and will be passing out lots of postcards for Soft Glass Invitational. We will also put up posters at Best Bead Show.
    About half the attendees are camping out. We have a block of rooms at a local hotel that cost $50 a night(Clean, WiFi, and quiet). We have one special surprise guest that wants to drop by and give a demo.
    We have three of our four racoons very adept at making small mandrel beads. One is rather snarky and is doing small sculptures in boro. Barb has named him Looie.He is the one not looking at the camera in the picture on the home page . http://softglassinvitational.com/home.html
    Lewis and barb

Update Feb 27. We now have just six "A" tickets left. Tickets to attend with a dedicated torch space just for you.
    Lewis

Update March 10, 2012. We had just three "A" torch spaces left. But we have decided to expand into the last building . That gives us another four torch stations.
    So right now we have 27 "A" tickets and eight "B" tickets sold. Six torch stations for the instructors. We are at 33 torches now with seven more available.
    Also, Trey Cornette will be bring his new crucible furnace. It will be at SGI for him to do large marble encasements.Also we might be able to do some vacuum encased marbles or paperweights.
    Just under ten weeks to go.
    Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update for Soft Glass Invitational. May 17-18-19. We have received packages from three of the American soft glass producers. Big thanks for Double Helix, Urorborus, and Bullseye for donating enough glass so that all those attending SGI will be able to experiment and work with glass they might not have had the opportuniity to try.
    Big thanks to Paragon and Jen-Ken kilns for helping to make The Glass Blowing Center kiln ready for soft glass workers.

Soft Glass Invitational was a blast. here is a link to 66 pics that are hosted on photobucket.
    http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg637/Lewiscwilson/
    Thanks to the teachers---Sara Sally LeGrande, Cindy Lemmo, Trey Cornette, Wesley Fleming, Patti Cahill and myself. many demos and 30 hours of open torch with 36 torches.
    Back again next may-third weekend.
    Lewis

It was a wonderful time and I look forward to the event next year... The were awesome demos and great laughs around the camp fire....
    Kris Schaible
    Regional Director, Mid-Atlantic
    District #1 Director
    International Society of Glass Beadmakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information