+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELLO--- Anybody Home Here

I will be teaching flameworking for the fuser for sure but I leave the other fusing workshops for the other studio across town.

Would I like to have you come teach? YES
    Let me get the flameworking part up and running and we will talk!

Sam

Oh sorry guys I forgot and important factor- there will be no bends I can go strait up and out the roof to the fan.
    Sam
    And yes I'm using an HVAC company.

Sam, actually you would not feel that velocity more than a few inches away from the face. No hair or silver leaf will be lifted from anywhere. The face velocity is measured at the face and falls off rapidly with distance from the face. You need enough face velocity to capture fumes that have a velocity of their own, maybe as high as several thousand FPM measured at the torch. A couple of feet away that also drops off rapidly. What you want to ensure is that the hood draft velocity is greater than the torch plume velocity where they intersect or you cannot capture the fume plume. The face velocity is measured in FPM and the blower capacity is measured in CFM.

Does this help?

Vince

Thank you Vince.
    I have been given 2 # for the Size fan I need a 3000 CFM and a 5520CFM.
    Now I am not and engineer but the HVAC guy is. His concern was if we went with the "big" fan we would be exchanging the room air completely every minute. With the 3000 every 1.84 or 2 minutes.
    Again this exchange of air more has to do with the comfort of the air conditioned room
    I am trusting him and the design of the hood- yes it has baffling or sloped sides and the position of the torches helping to get the torch plume going where it need to up and out.
    But if there is a red flag saying that is not going to work I would appreciate a heads up.Before I buy it.
    I think whether it is in a personal studio for one person with one torch or a large studio with multiple torches it is the utmost of importance to have good ventilation. And this is an area that does not seem to have a simple answer.
    Has anyone measured the torch plume velocity of the different torches?
    Or are all of these questions in the Drew Fitts book and I need to buy it.?
    Thank Vince
    Sam

Sam,

I think a room air exchange of every five minutes is plenty. More than that is real overkill. The numbers sound rather high to me but I'd need to see the whole design before commenting on that further.

Yes, I have measured the plume velocity of a number of torches and yes some of that information is in the Drew Fitts book. However, here are the numbers. This table is a composit average of measurements from a number of commonly used torches, like Nortel Minor, Lynx, etc. I think the largest torch I measured in this data set was the Phantom. The velocity is dependent on the inlet gas pressure of the torch and the added velocity created by combustion and could be a bit higher. It is wise to err on the high side in capture velocity. Sorry but the Forum won't let me make a nice table but the numbers are all here.

Distance from Torch Face (inches), Measured Velocity (FPM)

0", >6000
    2", 5100
    6", 1700
    12", 800
    18", 560
    24", 410
    30", 325
    36", 210

Vince
    Last edited by Vince; 08-27-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Thank you Vince!

I plan to have a speed cotroller for the fan as there will be times there will only be one lonely little GTT cricket or scorpion on the table running. I think we will have to see once everything is installed where the smoke goes when we test it at each speed. Better more and I can turn it down than not enough.

I am so wanting for this to be done so we can all torch again. Yes My name is Sam and I am a torch-a-holic. I haven't melted glass is too many days. I think I am beginning to twitch.

I am so happy to see you and your wisdom back here Vince your a jewel.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Nina"Sam"Hibler View Post
    ...There is a balance between exchanging enough air and pulling the sewer gas out of the bathroom.
    I ask many people about this issue and the best answer I got or at least the one that made sense was from the folks at the studio at Corning.
    Hi Sam

The answer is pretty simple: If you don't want to suck the sewer gases into your home you'll have to replace the airflow from an other place. If your fumehood pulls more air out (than comes in) the pressure inside the house gets lower than the pressure outside (and sewer...). To make it short: There is a lack on make-up air. Most people think just blowing out the contaminated air is enough. But you can't remove more air from a room than fresh air comes in.

There are ideas going around with "air exchangers" for studio ventilation. They replace the contaminated air in a controlled way by fresh air from outside. And they can recover a good portion of the heat in the exaust air to preheat the fresh air intake in winter. They have a bypass for the heat exchanger while summer if you don't want to heat up the studio with your torch. It will keep your home cool in summer while the torches are not burning.

Dietmar

Hi Dietmar!

Yes I will have a louvered system that opens to the outside when the hood is on to replace the air. Appropriately far away from the fans exhaust

We don't have winter in Texas well.........maybe a day or two here. It is the heat we don't want in the studio here

I'm not building from scratch or the fresh make up air would come up under the table so the hot Texas air wouldn't be pulled through the studio

Thank you for input
    Sam

Sam,

you are welcome. Glad to help. Good luck with your installation.

Vince

Dietmar,

what ideas are there about "air exchanges' I work at a hospital and it is something that we do keep track of in certain area's. so I am wondering what is going on with the lampworking world in this area.
    Have a great day!
    Sharyl
    Volunteer Coordinator
    Catchen the Sun Glass Arts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information