+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable studio for demonstration

Default Portable studio for demonstration

I have been asked to set up a demonstration at our local art walk. Does anyone have suggestions for safety and wind control? I'm thinking I will use map gas and a hothead. As it will be outside and I live at the beach, wind will be an issue. I tried a search - any suggestions on how to find previous posts will be appreciated.

sharon

I have a portable set up. I bought 3 pieces of Plexiglass and made a shield on all sides (except where I'm working, of course!) to protect me from the wind and the curious masses from the hot glass. I found that if you don't put up a barrier, some folks can't help but reach into your work area. It also helps keep those bits of hot glass away from popping on them, too.

THe last outdoor demo I did used a similar set up ( wasn't mine) and it worked out really well. Add some "L" brackets to the bottom so you can use "C" clamps to hold it in place. Unless terry has a better idea. But think about that as well as the hinges.

Debby

I use a Minor, a small tank of oxy, and a propane tank. I have a spare Creation Station so I use that to hold my torch and then I clamp Creation Station to the table. I tried using a Hot Head for demos but I like how quiet my Minor is.

I have a small Ox and tiny propane tank mounted on a luggage dolly I use with a minor torch to travel to schools and art shows. I take an extra small OX tank and a hot head in my bag as a backup for long days. Always better to have more than enough supplies, less you have to stand there with cold glass to wave around.
    My husband used the hot head to put 2 bends in a long piece of Plexiglas to make a U which is free standing on the table. I bring masking or duck tape to tape off an area when at the schools. About 3 feet from my work station in case they are tempted to touch.

Like Debby I use a hinged plexiglass barrier held onto the table with C clamps so it won't be bumped back into the torch by the crowds vying to view. I also cover the protect work surface with a piece of aluminium sheeting. I use the hothead for outdoor demos since it's so portable and a little safer. The noise is annoying but maybe it attracts viewers...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information