+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Reduced Glass Surfaces

I agree with your comment about the fate of the metallic fumes and condensates. As you are probably aware I've been a very strong advocate for industrial Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) for all beadmakers and would rather have all those condensates in the ductwork than on the worksurfaces or around the studio.

As for the cadmium I think it takes a strong reducing flame and sometimes a reactive component, such as another metal, for any evidence to appear on the surface. I forget which glass types I was using when I suspected this but I do remember thinking that I had seen some surface effect in cadmium based glass colors. It was probably at a reactive interface.

Vince

The reactive interfaces are really interesting and I'm plotting some work in that area. I'm also working on getting a better handle on the condensates in a good ventilation system that would otherwise end up on work surfaces. I've been pushing ventilation myself for quite some time, though sometimes I feel a bit like Sysiphus. Maybe getting the science published will help convince a few more folks that ventilation is really essential.

Robert
    Robert Simmons
    Director for Bead Donations
    Beads of Courage, Inc.

Today is the first of May 2015 and would like to Thank You for doing this work and making this information available to everyone.

We keep telling people over and over again how important it is to have ventilation that actually works and trying to impart the knowledge of how much is needed to work safely when melting glass. It is true that there is a bit of learning involved but it is not any harder than learning to drive a car and once a person understands it it really is not a big mystery. But, just like driving a car, not understanding how things work can get a person hurt.

I think This can also be said to be a BUMP!
    Last edited by SpeedReel; 05-01-2015 at 10:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information