+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yet ANOTHER question re: ventilation...

Default Yet ANOTHER question re: ventilation...

I am considering upgrading my studio. I currently work in a large, open, well-ventilated area inside my home. However, I would like to dedicate a space to my growing hobby and am considering other locations. This will certainly mean using a vent hood, and as I have been researching the options I am learning how much real knowledge and skill is involved in creating a functional vent system. A local welder asked me if a "fume removal system" would work. Basically like a large shop-vac with true suction into a filtration device that would essentially remove toxic chemicals from the air. I'm assuming that one concern would be whether or not I can really capture all of the dangerous chemicals within the small chamber at the end of the shop vac. It seems I will need to consider a "true ventilation and clean air exchange" versus suctioning fumes off my bench. Anyone know anything about these fume removal systems?

Generally these fume/vacuum systems for welding only remove the smoke from the work area. With a full flame burning (lampwork torch) most of the contamination is not from smoke but from the combustion process which creates carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides(NOX) and also releases "heavy metals" from the glass. As we all know carbon monoxide has long term health implications and in heavy concentration can cause death (by suffocation), nitrogen oxides are the precursor to nitric acid, when nitrogen (80% of our atmosphere) is super heated in a flame it created nitrogen oxide particles, the particles when combined with moisture create nitric acids. Think of inhaling these particles and then they combine with moisture in your lungs.... Personally the idea of a acid/tissue reaction in my lungs that could leave me very ill with respiratory disease scares me, as it should others.... You may want to do some GOOGLE searches on nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide poisoning and then you will have better understanding on why informed lampworkers advocate a well designed "flow through" ventilation system to evacuate the "bad stuff" and replace the air in your "breathing space" with fresh...

Dale

The welding fume system you mention is not an acceptable solution for a bead studio workstation. You need to install a standard "local exhaust ventilation" system with a proper source of make-up air with at least as much flow and volume as the exhaust system.

Vince

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information