THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF GLASS BEADMAKERS ANNOUNCES
CONVERGENCE II: ADORNING THE PAST, PRESENT, AND PRETEND
JEWELRY DESIGN WITH ART GLASS BEADS INSPIRED BY PERSONAS OF FACT AND FICTION
The International Society of Glass Beadmakers invites you to participate in our 2010 exhibition!
Due to the incredible response we received for our 2009 project, Convergence, and with the depth of work that was submitted, we have decided to revisit the concept for a second year with a few updates.
Convergence II is a juried show that will feature functional, wearable jewelry showcasing the use of handmade glass beads designed for an imaginary or historic figure.
EXAMPLES/SUGGESTIONS FOR INSPIRATION:
The possibilities and interpretations are endless and the stories of inspiration, we think, will be amazing to share!
- What jewelry might Amelia Earhart have worn - a compass necklace or a pendant of a bird in flight?
- What type of cufflinks would the Phantom of the Opera wear?
- If Madeleine Albright was speaking to the General Assembly of the United Nations, what brooch would she wear?
- What considerations would you make when designing a necklace for Marie Antoinette- would you make a heavily fortified choker?
- Would you make an Art Nouveau style hair comb for Rapunzel?
Here is your chance, either as a solo artist or with a partner or partners of your choice, to participate in this one-of-a-kind exhibition. Jewelry can include, but is not limited to, components such as seed beads, fine metal, PMC, fibers, etc. We encourage you to use multiple mediums for your work. The main focus of the piece, of course, must be the glass bead(s).
Our mission is to once again showcase how handmade glass beads are incorporated into exhibition-quality jewelry, to develop a purchase-on-demand ISGB catalog of the exhibition pieces, and to publish selected jewelry with tutorials in various glass-related publications. We will also produce and make available a wonderful art card of the exhibition!
The exhibition will open in Rochester, NY at the 18th Annual Gathering. From there, Convergence II will travel to several different locations over the next twelve (12) months. In June 2011, Convergence II will be on display at the Bead&Button Show in Milwaukee and it will close in Ohio in July 2011.
The deadline for submission is February 24, 2010.
For full project details please visit http://isgb.org/index.php?option=com...ions&Itemid=58
We hope you decide to take part in this exciting event!
- The entry deadline will be February 24, 2010. The entry fee is $35 for your 1st submission; additional entries are $20 each. This fee is due, along with the photographs of your piece by the deadline date. No exceptions, please.
- Should you decide to participate with a partner or partners, you will be responsible for contacting, confirming, and collaborating directly with your partner(s). You will need to meet all deadlines and participate in the project directly with your partner(s). If you participated in the Convergence I project, you may partner with the same person again; this is your own choice.
- ISGB and independent representatives will jury the exhibit. ISGB will notify you regarding acceptance.
- You are responsible for the cost of all materials.
- Design your glass beads and jewelry knowing that you may be asked to share instructions for them in print. Keep detailed notes about all materials (including specific quantities and sources), techniques, etc. in case your design is selected for publication. Artists retain all rights to original designs and instructions*.
- You must be a member of ISGB in good standing to participate in Convergence II. Your partner, however, is not required to be a member.
*You are not required to share your instructions in order to participate.