+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have been asked to teach a class at the local college on lampworking

Default I have been asked to teach a class at the local college on lampworking

Hi all

Two local colleges has asked me to teach a beginning bead making class this coming spring. I was thinking of using 104 and mapp gas torches. With a limit of 4 people, I am a bit lost as to do this. Does anyone have an outline for a 3-4 day class? I feel hesitant because of the snap and pop of soft glass, and the possibility of someone getting hurt. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Lynda

silverflamegallery.com

Hi Lynda

Ask the colleges about the inshurance situation. They should provide an inshurance that covers the "regular" accidents of such a class. Check the provided rooms for everything that might be dangerous while working with torches there (including talking to the fire marshal). Think about a safe setup for each workplace. Figure out a curriculum for the class that increases the needed skill level from lesson to lesson and check it by youself for the time YOU need. Double that time and add a good portion extra time for the students. Add variations of the learned techniques to have something if the concentration decreases. Try to figure out how to avoid the snapping of rod ends and how to hold the rod to miss the other students. Figure out under which conditions a used rod will snap! Teach the safe way and mention what NOT to do.

I hope this helps you for the first steps of preparations.

Dietmar

PS: This topic might fit better into the Safety-Forum.

Lynda,
    Think back to your first time of making beads. You know what to do, after the safety stuff-
    Start off making stringer of black, then white, show them the difference in viscosity of the white glass.
    Make a small black bead, show them how to hold the glass. Show them how wild the glass can get and show them how to control it. Make some kind of mantra. to verbaly repeat what they are doing.
    Then go with the very basics, one step at a time.
    Dots, stringer, twisties. maybe even take all morning to do dots, then all afternoon to do stringer. You know...go really slowly.
    Leslie

thank you so much, this is helpful. Now just getting money for supplies
    Lynda

Thank you, probably the class should be longer than 3-4 sessions?
    Lynda

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information