+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What did you bring back from the Gathering....

Default What did you bring back from the Gathering....

in your head?

I brought back a burning desire to get on the torch and make geometric beads a la Holly and Brad!!

I really have to dig out my PMC and try to make some of those dog bones Barbara was showing us - wow, really wow!!

Now where did I put my enamels! I'm sure they are here somewhere and with my new sifter I want to play like JC and Margaret!

I really need to buy a tumbler!

I got a BazBox for leaf and foil from Arrow Springs that Amnon from Israel makes. Can't wait to get it in the mail Lots of dichroic and of course Double Helix...oh also a cool shirt from the Flow magazine.

It was a great time. The demos were awesome. Met so many new people and reconnected with the old. So happy I could be part of it.

I am bringing back a bottle of wine that someone sweetly gave to me at the closing party... wink, wink. Thanks KL!

Hey Sara! My wine made it home in my suitcase. Thanks KL!

Cathy

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

I brought back a renewed spirit of camaraderie that was passed on from so many who attended; a strong desire to just get back on the torch!; inspiration from so many artists...too many to mention; a 'need' to get back to doing/teaching PMC; wonderful suggestions and thoughts from so many members; GREAT ideas from our Tech Vendors and a new appreciation for "chair-e-oke" which resulted in some really fun "sing like you have never sung before moments" from the back of the room on Sunday night! Cathy, we are ready to be back up singers when you need us!

KL, even tho' I turned down the bottle of wine (suitcase already waay too heavy), I thought about it A LOT and I'm holding my "raincheck!" HA!

-Kendra

ditfd Guest

I've been attending the Gatherings since Seattle in 1996, and haven't missed a one! So my favorite part to bring back has to do with spending a little face time with the other artists that I don't get to see often enough during the year. I met Larry Brickman in Seattle, so I look forward to seeing him at Gatherings since I think that was his first Gathering, too. I especially enjoyed our discussion on the merits of Motel 6 vs. Super 8 -- we both travel rather economically when on the road trying to make our living at glass beads.

I had a very nice philosophical discussion with Kristina Logan during lunch on Sunday -- she's one of my favorite beadmakers. Two of my favorite gals were my roommates, and I went to dinner on Sunday with several of my most favorite friends. Not to mention all the great folks I dined with during breakfasts, lunches, the opening reception, and those who I shared a table with during the demos and lectures.

It's hard to explain exactly what I bring back from a Gathering, but I always have a renewed sense of purpose as a glass beadmaker, and that has to do with the combination of activities of the *whole* Gathering. I hope that too much does not change as a result of the economy, because I really feel like our group does this especially well -- better than any other group I've ever belonged to.

As I've become more proficient with glass, my favorite presentations have tended to shift from the "how-to" types to the more philosophical, so Donna Milliron's presentation rocked -- literally and figuratively, and I enjoyed Lesli Mash's very intellectual presentation. I also have come to enjoy those presentations that hook up our art with other disciplines, so I enjoyed Barbara Becker Simon's presentation about silver clay cores for one's glass beads. I also enjoy seeing how other artists work, so I guess it would be hard to name just one thing or person -- I enjoyed them all.

Regarding literal things that I brought home: I did buy some Czech Glass, and a few ISGB fundraisers.

And my long drive home from Miami was really nice in that I had plenty of time to process all the great sharing and info.

BTW, those salad bars were the absolute best! Brilliant!

Thanks so much to Cathy and the Shiloh Group, the BOD, and the volunteers, and anyone else who helped make my 14th Gathering as good as the 1st!

I'm already looking forward to Rochester.

Best wishes,
    Patti

Oh my gosh, how could I have possibly left out my absolute favorite presentation, Donna Milliron's? Thank you, thank you, thank you for presenting to us such a wonderful thoughtful, tear-producing keynote speech. WE LOVE YOU, DONNA!!!

I've brought back a lot of creative energy and ideas......some razor tools I know how I'd like to use.....a phenomenal learning experience frm Kim's class on birds....and a Macaw too!,besides beads that'll motivate to me to raise the bar....from some of my favorite artists....a fuzzy feeling of excitement and gratitude from two special friends who offered to swap beads off their bead bazaar tables....glass rods to hopefully keep me going till I'm back for more...and back issues of The Flow and Profitable Glass and The Glass Pattern...and lots of love and warmth and a phenomenal sense of pride of being a lampworker and a great sense of belonging....to the ISGB!

I brought back a very heavy suitcase! And I'm dying to try some new ideas. Kudos to Chris for showing me how to do a tube implosion. Sabina--many thanks for showing me the imploded marble technique (remember, I have 499,998 questions left <grin>), and to all who gave of themselves to demo for us--wow. My head is swimming with ideas (WHY did I have to tell a friend she could stay here this weekend--I can't very well ignore her while I do some exploring with new glass and new techniques!). Oh and Leslie, I see a few disks in my near future and it's all your fault. LOL

Once again I am overwhelmed by the talent, warmth, and friendliness of this wonderful group of beadmakers.

I brought back a renewed sense that the lampworking community at large is a cool bunch... I had the BEST time, it was incredibly fantastic in every way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information