+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things that made me happy at the Gathering

Great Gathering! The demos are always my favorite part but one thing that I realized this year was how each year the connections with others get better. While it might feel uncomfortable your first time, or even just while you consider attending, it just gets better and better the more you go.

It takes time to build relationships and at a once-a-year event that can really take some time. I've attended for the last five years (as well as doing shows where I see other members) and this year felt like putting on an old shoe. Y'all (I roomed with Terry Williams) are truly my community and I look forward to seeing you every year, and getting to know you better little by little.

And that's a lot coming from someone who doesn't consider herself social.

Thanks ISGB!

There were so many cool aspects this year. I LOVED the hotel and being on the river. I wish I could have hitched a ride on one of the boats that passed by...

The salad bar was awesome! What a welcome change from box lunches. The choices were abundant and the presentation was very cool!

And the gallery where the exhibits far surpassed the last couple years. I sure hope we can keep finding venues that are worthy of our shows!

I loved the smaller group... it was easier to meet and greet new and old friends. A plus in an otherwise sad situation!

And finally, I'm really proud of the All Member Show this year. Our contact at Miami Childrens Hospital was truly stunned with the beauty of the aquarium! She couldn't take her eyes off it. Knowing that we've left a little part of us behind to cheer up families at the hospital is a wonderful feeling...

Thumbs up

Nancy - you are so right on!

I vote for the soup and salad bar idea from now on! Great idea and I didn't hear anyone complain - when can you ever say that about anything!

I have saved all the beads I have had in the All Member Shows - it is kinda record of where my work has traveled, but this was a wonderful thing to do. And the kind of giving back I think our members all would like to be part of. Great idea!

Debby

What I loved about the Gathering......WOW! That's a mighty big "theme" to write about. Kendra, your words really expressed so much about what was terrific, and much of what you said I second.

For me, personally, here are a few additional comments:

Getting to communicate through the year with Heather Ferman, who was the teamleader for the Postcard Project, and to see what a terrific job she did with it. I think this year may have set a new record for number of participants-- something like 70 cards! Wow!

The volunteers! My, my, my......I had quite a few volunteers come up to me and ask for more hours, or that they were running short on their "commitment" to volunteer and wanted to work more. Cathy Wetzel--- did you see ANY of the conference??? LOL And Kara and Chris--- it was great getting to know you both and getting to share a bit of our lives outside of beadmaking. These three attendees seemed to always be around, and helped whenever, however. THANK YOU!

Working with the tech vendors-- this was the first year I had the pleasure of being the tech vendor coordinator. It was wonderful to get to know the vendors just a little bit better and see all the cool stuff they have to offer. And I thank all of them for being willing to meet with me, Kendra, and Alethia to see what ISGB can do better to enhance their participation in future Gatherings.

Spending time with my son, Tom--- He offered to come to Miami early to be a "mule" and help set up the classes with Lisa and Larry...what he lacked in knowledge, he made up for in willingness to help. He also helped stuff registration envelopes with tickets, ran to Kinko's to pick up an order for me, scoped out the Metromover so we'd know the fastest/easiest way to get to the Brickell area for dinner, and generally always there to lend a hand. :-) And, of course, seeing him in his scrubs, lending his hands in his other way, through massage. But, even more than that, I got to spend precious time with him as mom and son...something I truly cherished.

Spending time with Lisa and Larry, and their new charge Rob, who ended up being a Godsend! Being with them is always a joy.

Spending time with Sara Sally and Leslie Thiel stuffing and rechecking conference envelopes, and badges. Its amazing how easy work is when done with friends. :-)

Watching my mom in action at the Live Auction, while also watching my dad squirm each time the numbers went higher and higher and she was still bidding.

Having so many attendees come up to me and personally thank me/ the team/ ISGB
    for the work done to put on the conference. For me, that is the reason to do it.... to experience the joy of the members who attend.

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words and sharing what was special to you. The Gathering is the one event meant for all of us, and it was wonderful to have so many of us come together in a year that has been so challenging.

Let's do it again in Rochester....and hopefully with even more of our membership there!

Cathy

In 1 sentence...besides the great food, what made me happy was Tom the awesome massage therapist. I wouldn't have made it through the Gathering without him. Thanks for coming Tom and thanks Cathy for sharing your wonderful son!

Karen

Tom Finegan is a genius. Cathy Finegan is a sweetheart. Always there when you need her.

The escalator is evil and should be approached with extreme caution (or perhaps the rider needs to pay attention better) Larry Brickman could double as an on-the-spot medic.
    The presentations were incredible this year. They seem so seamless that I think people don't often realize that those folks prep for close to a year on those things. Every one had it's own magic. I especially loved Lesli Mash's presentation because she is so knowledgeable and smart. Rashan did a great job, espcially since it was in a short period of time. Dolly, Kim, Barbara.....Aki.... they all rocked. Sorry if I am leaving someone out, because I liked ALL of them.

The Bead Bazaar was great for me and I loved seeing all my friends' work.

I didn't spend any time in the bar this year, but I had fun seeing everyone this year. The lunches were wonderful (thanks to the board for getting rid of the box lunch, thank you!) I loved being at registration and seeing the face of the person whose badge I stuffed.

It was a great Gathering and I am looking forward to next year. And Debby Weaver....pleasure working with you and Marianne at registration!!

The Gathering was again a fun time. It is always good to see old friends and meet new ones.
    I loved seeing the new work at the bead bazaar. The demos were great and filmed perfectly.
    My fun with the Gathering actually started a few days earier when I asked Barb if she would go with me to see the new Harry Potter film. It was my first date in over twenty five years. I will not be waiting another twenty five years till the next one.
    The karaoke /closing night party was great fun. I am not a great singer, but I do have my fun.
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LewisWilson View Post
    The Gathering was again a fun time. It is always good to see old friends and meet new ones.
    I loved seeing the new work at the bead bazaar. The demos were great and filmed perfectly.
    My fun with the Gathering actually started a few days earier when I asked Barb if she would go with me to see the new Harry Potter film. It was my first date in over twenty five years. I will not be waiting another twenty five years till the next one.
    The karaoke /closing night party was great fun. I am not a great singer, but I do have my fun.
    Lewis
    ;-).....I think you killed the thread but Harry Potter was a great date with a large popcorn, claw machine prizes and a session in the photo booth! Thank you Lewis! barb

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

Barb, no, Lewis didn't kill the thread...it's just hard to think of anything as nice and as heartfelt to post after reading his - I thought it was wonderful!

My husband took me to see Harry as well...but no claw machine prizes! Darn it! LOVE those machines!

-Kendra

I thought that the photo booth was to be our "secret'. Who knew that the photo booths now keep up the pictures of the last people until new pics are taken.
    Make you rethink pictures you might want to take.. lewis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information