+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sabbatical

Default Sabbatical

Just to keep the forum informed, I am taking a brief sabbatical from writing safety articles for "The Glass Bead". I'll probably be gone two issues, but I hope not three. The Editor has been informed. I will also be checking the safety forum a bit less frequently but will try to look at it at least weekly. My email address still works and you can get that from the vcard on the forum.

The reason for the sabbatical is that I am moving from California and need to focus on getting moved and selling a home. We have already purchased our new home and will be working on that as well prior to moving in. I have a lot of painting to do as we want to change the color scheme and I have a new library to build. My book collection is now probably topping 16,000 volumes and I need to get the books out of storage and on shelves where they can once again be used.

Our new home is in the Pacific Northwest so I suppose I will be changing ISGB regions as well and will need to meet the new local people if there are any in my new area. But, all that in good time. Right now I need to focus on selling a home in California and getting moved from no fewer than four physical locations.

Vince

Hi Vince, I will definitely miss your articles. Hurry back to us, and good fortune to you and your lovely wife!

Vince,
    Let me welcome you to the Pacific Northwest.
    We have 2 official chapters. Fire and Rain in Seattle and ORBS in Portland. It seems like they are always working on the websites. They can be found by going to www.fire-and-rain.org and theorbs.org when you get settled.
    I hope your move goes as smoothly as planned.
    See you soon,
    Leslie Thiel

Vince - sending you good moving and house-selling energy.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest from another transplanted Californian!

Best,
    Chris

Leslie and Christine,

thanks for the information. Neither chapter is close to me but I'll investigate that further when I am here full time. My new location is Anacortes, about a ninety-minute drive north of Seattle (on a good traffic day, longer on a bad one). We are on an island in Puget Sound, but fortunately one connected to the mainland by two bridges, one at La Conner and another near Anacortes, and a third between Fidalgo and Whidbey islands, so we don't need to take a ferry to get here or get around a couple of islands. Anacortes has a strong arts community, one bead store and a bunch of galleries, so it is not just a working commercial port community.

As for ex-Californians, I am finding that there is a migration of sorts out of California and I find former residents everywhere including some of my neighbors here. Reasons for leaving vary, but the general deterioration of the state and its increasingly high costs and taxes seems a common one.

As far as selling our California home in this market I will take all the good vibes I can get! The market is a bit slow, but trying to recover. We are keeping the ranch in Mendocino County but are selling our home in Marin County.

Vince

Vince
    Best of luck to you.
    Shelly

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

Vince, I am in Seattle (Bellevue exactly) and when things settle down for you and you are headed this way for something, I would love to get together.

Enjoy your new home and when you can, come back to us...we will miss you.

-Kendra

Hope everything goes smoothly...

Just so that everyone understands this "sabbatical" idea here is what the status is. Since I am making a major move and since that move is complicated by a previous move that resulted in much of my household being placed in storage across multiple sites my rather large collection of reference material, tools and scientific instruments is simply not readily available. In order to write a well researched article for publication by the ISGB I need access to many of these instruments and much of the reference material and I simply don't have it during this transition period. In addition to that, we are trying to sell a home in California and arrange for Linda's retirement from the University of California AND basically repainting the inside of the new house which is the best part of 1,000 miles away.

So, it would be an understatement to say I am both very busy and somewhat handicapped by lack of access to things I need. The sabbatical just has to do with writing safety articles for "The Glass Bead". I still check into the forum as regularly as I can and am available to answer questions on matters of safety via this forum and normal email. I am commuting regularly from the SF Bay area to northern Washington and that takes time. I do have internet access at my new home and so the only time I am out of touch is during my actual journey between California and Washington.

So, I have not "gone" anywhere as far as the ISGB and its activities is concerned. I am just taking a break from writing the safety articles for a couple of issues until I can recover all my reference material and instruments. If anyone has questions on matters of safety they will still get answers here and via email.

Vince

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information