+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oxygen regulator questions

Default oxygen regulator questions

I have a two stage oxygen regulator - National Model #2500.540. I was setting up for a class tomorrow, hooking up my 4 torches and checking for leaks, etc. I discovered a leak - not at the regulator to tank connection, but at the point where the inlet connection (hope that's the right language) enters the body of the regulator. At that connection, the regulator came with white teflon tape, just as there is white teflon tape where the gauges enter the body of the regulator. I think that the connection that is leaking has loosened over the years (I've had this regulator for 5-plus years). Can I safely disconnect the inlet connection, wrap some more teflon tape around it and then connect it back up and tighten it? Needless to say, I've canceled tomorrow's class until I resolve this.

Just to be clear, I am NOT talking about putting teflon tape at the regulator to torch connection.

Thanks.

Sandy

Probably all it needs is a bit of pressure applied with wrench(s) to tighten connection.... I doubt you need to take apart connection to fix it.... Applying more tape is not always the answer, all the tape is a lubricant for the threads so they tighten easier to provide a good mechanical connection. Most people seem to think its a sealant and will go to great pains to tell you its a sealant, but it is not.

IF you are unsure how to proceed, taking regulator to welding supply where they have proper tools to tighten connection may be best solution.

Dale

Thanks Dale. I don't think there are any special tools required - I looked at the connection and it will just take a regular wrench to loosen and/or tighten. I'll probably try tightening it first and if it still leaks, try some new teflon tape to give it a tighter connection.

The only thing is it may be difficult to get a good "grip" on regulator to hold it secure while applying wrench on "connector"..

Dale

Two wrenches (usually different sizes) give me a good "grip" on mine. One on the regulator and one on the connection.
    And trust me I don't have alot of grip strength. Tools are amazing things!

I had this problem with the connection between my propane regulator and the hose connections to the pipe going into the studio. To add to the fun the propane is in a nice wire cage because it is in a commercial setting. I had to practically stand on my head to "re-hook" everything up when we replaced the old regulator.
    So if you are not laughing yet read on. There I am (and I'm a rather small female) bent over with my butt up in the air, head in the propane cage... and I hear can I help you with that little lady? I think my "savior" was quite surprise when I came up out of the propane cage with my 2 1/2 ft crescent wrench (a wench with a wrench is scary) and said no thanks I think I've got it. Where was he when I started this endeavor?

Go luck I hope you've got it all fixed and your class went well
    Sam

I was able to tighten the connection with a wrench and it's no longer leaking. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information