+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ventilation system suppliers question

Default ventilation system suppliers question

I need to upgrade my ventilation system. I've been reading the articles but the one thing I can't find is who manufactures good units/hoods/fan/ etc. I'm not handy enough to make my own system and craft my own hood. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sue

Unfortunately here is no one stop supplier for ventilation....

Glasscraft has a large hood, but unfortunately it came with very underpowered fan. So you can buy hood and supply your own fan... Their "funnel system" remains to be proven by any users as far as I can find our....

And their refusal to discuss ventilation publicly via internet (LE forum) kind make one wonder if they are serious... The want you to "call" their expert because their "expert" does not do "internet"....

Dale

Talking source for fans

Hi Sue:

Here's a link to where we purchased the fans for my torch booth:
    http://www.smarthome.com/3013/10-Inc...n-DB210/p.aspx

We purchased two, and paid about $45 each.

I posted detailed info regarding the build over on The Melting Pot - the thread is here:
    http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21265

You may need to sign up for an account to access the thread, but I posted lots of pics (before, during, and after) and a bit of description.

Sending you happy torch booth/ventilation energy,
    Chris in drippy OlyWA (which means it's a VERY good day to go play with fire, bwahahahahaaa)

Thanks!

Sue

I bought an extended hood from GlassCraft and a blower from Grainger to power it. I used the GlassCraft fan to run make up air coming in through the table top. It all works well to remove the torch fume without sucking all of the conditioned air out of the house.
    Robert
    Attached Images  

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

Great set up Roger, and an excellent picture of your studio. Look how organized everything is, WOW!

Thank you for showing us.

-Kendra
    Last edited by Kendra Bruno; 03-09-2009 at 05:42 PM.

This may be the closest thing to a readily available "system" is on ecan believe the manufacturers specifications..... And removing grease filters may improve effiency....

http://www.rangehoodsinc.com/rhi-cav...range-hood.php

Dale

Having just done a kitchen remodel here at home I was curious about the rather high-end range hood I installed and wondered whether or not it would have been suitable for bead work. I measured mine and it is indeed quite good, and has the advantage of NOT having a filter. It uses a completely different mechanism for collecting grease when used for its intended purpose as a range hood and so there is no filter to remove to improve efficiency. The down-side is that these are expensive items, but perhaps not as expensive as a custom made local exhaust vent hood made specifically for your torch bench.

There are many styles and types of these hoods, all very well made in a variety of metals including stainless steel and with a wide variety of installation accessories available. Flow rates of at least 1800 CFM are available.

If anyone is interested in assessing the suitability of one of these for their studio I'd be happy to provide assistance in that endeavor. Here is the link to their on-line site from which you can download catalogs and specifications.

http://www.ventahood.com/specifications.jsp

Vince

Thumbs up

All the good information about hoods aside - I want Robert to come do a make-over in my studio! OMG, how organized! And I bet you can find that sample pack of glass you got two years ago at the Gathering - that I still can not lay my hands on! That is sweet!

Debby

Thanks Debbie. I'm in the process of modifying my make up air intake system. It works OK, but I think that I can boost the efficiency a bit with a few changes.
    Those fence rail sections made my life so much easier when it came to organizing the glass. Too bad they're so hard to get.

Robert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information