+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Encased Floral Tutorial

Default Encased Floral Tutorial

Warning - long and wordy. No photos either. But, I hope this will be something that helps someone out with their encased floral efforts!!!

Encased Floral Bead with Red Flowers and White Buds

You will need:
    Clear: I use Effetre Super Clear or Vetrofond
    Red Opaque: I like Purple Red but you can use a lighter Red
    Transparent Striking Red
    White: Plain old Moretti White
    Sage Green Transparent or any dark transparent Green
    Copper Green or any pastel Green
    Intense Black Stringer
    Goldstone Chunk
    Clear stringer
    Tungsten poker (fine point)
    3/32 mandrel
    Your Favorite Bead Release
    Small piece of Pyrex to use as a punty
    One old mandrel (3/32)

Pull an encased Goldstone Stringer

Take a small piece of Goldstone and pre-heat on a hot plate or in your kiln.
    Make a flat disc on the end of a Pyrex punty, smaller than the diameter of a dime. Put a small gob of Moretti clear on the disc and marver it into a lens shape.
    Heat up the little Moretti lens then use it to pick up your hot piece of Goldstone.
    Immediately take the Goldstone to the flame. Heat it gently, using mashers to gradually mash it into a rough cylinder shape. Heat it a little more and marver it into a smooth cylinder or cone shape. Do not heat the Goldstone too much or it will darken and not be sparkly.
    Thinly case the Goldstone cylinder with clear. The casing should be no more than 1/8 inch thick, thinner if you can manage it! I use a clear stringer to do this.

Pull a Twisty

Take an old 3/32 mandrel and heat up about ¼ inch of the end in the flame.
    Put a medium sized glob of Copper Green on the end of the mandrel (size of a chickpea). Heat this in the flame until molten, then marver into a tapered cylinder, with the smaller end of the cylinder at the mandrel end.
    Draw 3-4 lines on the Copper Green with Intense Black. These should be thin lines.
    Case over the Copper Green and Intense Black with Sage Green (or Transparent Uranium yellow is nice, too!!).
    Heat all of this up, then using tweezers or pliers, twist and pull into a nice twisty.
    You can also use your Goldstone stringer to put some stripes on the twisty before you twist and pull out. It is a nice touch.

Ready to make the bead!

Put one wrap of White on your mandrel and heat it into a tiny round bead.
    Marver this into a rough barrel, very thin. This should be very small, no more than ¼ inch in length, less if you can manage it.
    Thinly case the barrel with Transparent Sage Green or some other transparent green. Be sure to cover all of the White.
    Marver this into a barrel again. This time it will be a little thicker. Try to start getting the edges of the barrel even at this point.
    Take your twisty and draw some random squiggles onto your bead. Try to not use too much! Heat the bead to be sure the twisty is attached, but do not melt the twisty in.
    Randomly squiggle some lines and scrolls of Goldstone stringer over the barrel. I try to go between the squiggles of twisty in order to cover more of the base bead.
    Heat gently and MARVER smooth. Do not overheat and melt the twisty and Goldstone in. If you marver smooth, you will have more depth in the finished bead.

Now you are ready for the flowers!

I like to make four and five petaled flowers, but you can make any number of petals you like.
    Take a stringer of Opaque Red and place four tiny dots for each flower. Space the dots fairly far apart. I think of them as corners of a tiny square (or star, if you are doing five dots).
    Try to make at least three flowers on the bead (this is a total of 12 dots at this point).
    Heat the dots gently until they round up and are attached to the bead, but do not melt them in.

Take a thin White stringer and place the dots for your buds randomly around the bead. I try to put some close together, some far apart, in between flowers, around flowers, etc. Make the dots for the buds smaller than the dots for the petals.
    Heat gently to round these up, but do not melt in!

Focus your flame by turning the propane down until you have a small needle flame. Aim the point of the flame at the centers of the flowers and melt the centers slowly until the flowers are almost flat. The residual heat from the flame should melt in most of the bud dots as well. Hopefully, they won’t be too flat.

Now take your Transparent Striking Red stringer and place dots on top of all of the Opaque Red petals. I try to cover the Opaque Red, but you can leave an edge if you like. It is just a different look.
    Gently heat these and round them up.

Take a Clear stringer and place tiny Clear dots on top of all of the White bud dots.
    Heat gently to round up.

Again, focus your flame and heat the centers of the flowers until they are almost flat. Your buds should melt in from the residual heat from the flame. Make sure the petals are pretty flat at this point. The buds can be a little more raised.

Now, you need to place the second round of petals on your flowers.
    Take the Red Opaque stringer and place four more dots for each flower but this time, place the dots in between the previously placed petals. Again, use small dots. For this round of petals I place the dots just inside the outside edge of the previous petals.
    Heat gently to round up but do not melt flat!!

Second layer of buds.
    Place a White dot directly on top of the previous bud dot. Make sure you get all of them (I count how many bud dots I place initially, then count each time I place dots on top of them to be sure I don’t miss any).
    Heat gently to round up but do not melt flat.

Focus the flame and heat the center of the flowers until the dots are melted in slightly, but no flat. The heat from the flame should melt the White bud dots a little more, but if not, melt them in slightly, too.

Now take the Transparent Red stringer and place a dot on top of the Opaque Red dot.
    Heat gently to round up but do not melt flat!

Place a clear dot on top of each White bud dot.
    Heat gently to round up but do not melt flat.

Focus flame again, aim at the centers of the flowers and heat until the dots pull to the center of the flower. DO NOT MELT FLAT!!!

Be sure your bud dots have been melted in a little, but again, do not melt them flat.

With the tungsten poker poke a deep hole in the center of each flower. I heat each flower individually, poke, and then go on to the next flower.

Poke a dot in the center of each bud (see, it’s a good idea to count them!!!). Try no to heat these too much as they are very tiny and will go flat easily!

Everything should now have a poke and should still be slightly raised.

Encasement

Put the bead at the back of the flame while you collect a large gather of clear. Make the gather a little larger than the bead. The bigger the gather, the thicker the encasement and the more magnification you will have.

When you have a big enough gather, heat it until it is very hot. Then drop the bead below the flame, position the hot gather over the bead. Allow the gather to drop onto the bead then PUSH the gather around the bead. You should be able to cover the entire bead with one swoop of glass. If not, add hot clear to the parts you missed, then take the bead out of the flame and allow it to cool a little.

Take a brass tool with a sharp edge (I use a brass Stump Shaper) and use it to move some of the clear towards the mandrel. This should cover up the edges of your bead. DO NOT touch the mandrel with the clear. To move the glass, I heat the glass I want to move, and then push it with the tool. Sometimes I have to heat and move more than once. The trick here is to heat the clear but leave the bead underneath cool.

When you have the edges covered, place the bead in the flame and rotate it to round it up. If you need more glass somewhere, add it now, but do not add glass to the edges of the bead. Do not heat the bead holes as this will pull the clear towards the holes and you flowers and buds will smear.

When the bead is round and centered, cool, then place in the kiln.

Yay, Kimberly!! Thanks for the inauguration of the open Techniques section!

You are very welcome. Now, if I could only post a photo! I keep trying, but I get a message that I have already posted photos in the thread. ?????? I posted one, but deleted it - so I guess something isn't clearing.

Ok Kimberly, this is what I found out in putting my tutorial here.

You can only put 4 pictures in each posting.
    You cannot use html.
    The pictures have to be hosted on a website space/server. (If you use the "manage attachments" it will add pictures only at the bottom.)
    You first paste in your words, then in each area wherre you want a picture you have to go to edit, and click on the postcard looking image under the left arrow above, and a popup (oh yeah, you have to allow popups on this website to do this) and you paste the url of where the picture is, and then hit upload - and it will be positioned where you want it.
    I changed my users preferences to WYSIWYG, and put in all my words, then all my pictures, and just copied the pics and text after 4 pictures, deleted the excess in that first post, and then posted it. Then the reply I pasted in all I copied, and after 4th picture, I copied rest while deleting it from posting, etc, and then finally the 4th post was the last.

That is why my tutorial has 4 postings because of 11 pictures.

I was trying to add just a photo of a floral bead that was made using the tutorial. So, the bottom of the post is okay. But, I can't seem to even do that. Hmmmmmmmmm. I will figure it out eventually (or go crazy trying!!). Thankyou for the quick help though!!!

Bellevue/Greater Seattle - Washington State/USA

Kimberly, this is great and thank you so much for sharing!

I am so happy that this techniques area is open. PERFECT for all of us to learn something new - I can always use all the help I can get.

Thank you again and I hope to see you soon!

-Kendra

Maureen, would you be willing to write a "how to post a tutorial" thread that we could make sticky? It would be a huge help to everyone who wants to post.

Thanks for all you do,

Nolly

Kimbery -

Send me the picture in an email and if I can open it okay, I will host it on my website server and post it here for you - ok?

Debby
    debbyweaver@yahoo.com

Kimberly- it may also be you have exceeded the mb limit on this server in posting pictures. I noticed when I went to use the regular upload of MANAGE ATTACHMENTS - A little line bar came up indicating how much of the space I had already used up with previous pictures posted to the board. Maybe some of those earlier pics need to be erased?

Yes, I will make tutorial today and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaureenKennedy
    Kimberly- it may also be you have exceeded the mb limit on this server in posting pictures. I noticed when I went to use the regular upload of MANAGE ATTACHMENTS - A little line bar came up indicating how much of the space I had already used up with previous pictures posted to the board. Maybe some of those earlier pics need to be erased?

Yes, I will make tutorial today and post it.

I saw that, too. I still have lots of room. I use the uploader. Does that use up space??? Anyway, I cannot figure out how to erase that photos that are there. Feeling REALLY stupid here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information