+ Reply to Thread

Thread: etch resist

Hybrid View

Default etch resist

What are people using for etch resist these day? I want to achieve thin lines, but the etchall product that I have does not allow me enough control.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Elmer's white glue painted by a small brush.

Wink Resist is futile?

I get good results with the Etchall resist gel, but working with tiny brushes I like and thinning the gel are key for me.

Being "gelly," the resist gel can be gloppy to work with, but a bit of water mixed in can give it a range of much more paint-like consistencies. As long as you don't go overboard with the water you can still get fine resistence.

I mostly like to paint with a size 0/1 sable brush, or a size 0 "colour shaper" brush (a rubber tipped painting tool you can find in Dick Blick's catalog, among many other places I'm sure). The latter is nice for some applications because it's easier to keep the gel from setting up on the brush and messing things up. It also does not bend and wander on the surface of the bead the way a soft brush can.

You can also get fine lines by slicing very thin strips of vinyl tape and strapping those around your bead. Depends what effect you're after...

Good luck!

Katherine

Nail polish! The brighter the better. Use a fine brush to apply. It usually will peel right off after you have finished etching.

ralphmc Guest

I mostly use sandblasting for this type of thing, and hot melt glue (yes!) is a quick, really effective resist. Has anybody tried this as a chemical resist? Otherwise I second the motion for hideously bright, cheap nail polish.

Elmer's glue and toothpicks. I use it right from the bottle and the toothpick "paints" into little tiny corners, etc.

I cut the lines from sign vinyl in small strips using a steel straight edge, it works, and it's tedious, but I just don't get the control I want with the liquids. The liquid I use the most though is Liquid Lead. Jeri

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information